Wednesday 6 July 2016

30 Days Wild day 18- Treecreepers


Originally, I came onto campus today to photograph the grebes before the summer, but I very quickly got distracted. Movements from the trees nearest the bench I was sat on caught my attention, and I found myself next to a pair of treecreepers, accompanied by their begging fledgling. 


They worked their ways up the trees, the fledgling leading and the parents following up the main trunk, occassionally flitting away into the outer branches or a neighbouring tree to find more of their insect or spider prey. They move distinctively in a fast sort of creeping motion, climbing up the rough bark rather than hopping from branch to branch the way other birds of similar size would. 


Treecreepers are one of my favourite birds. They're relatively common and widespread, but so secretive and quick that they are tricky to see, never mind photograph. They're one of those birds which are a real reward for the patience it takes to get close to them. This was the first time I've ever managed to get photographs of a treecreeper. They aren't perfect, of course, but I'm pleased with the results all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment