Wednesday 14 June 2017

30 Days Wild day 11- Bird ring

I was in town again today, wandering round the Cathedral and looking around some open gardens when I spotted something moving on the ground. Over the past couple of years, I've been training myself to notice movement. This is a really useful skill for spotting wildlife, although perhaps not quite so good for holding conversations.

The movement was a bird's leg, complete with BTO ring, rolling in the breeze. The RSPB volunteers looking at the peregrines were just around the corner, so I took it over to them. The leg was scaly and surprisingly long- it looked like it might have belonged to some sort of wader or waterbird. Unfortunately the foot was very damaged, which made identifying it tricky. I'm looking forward to hearing what it was and where it was ringed!


No comments:

Post a Comment