Sunday 25 June 2017

30 Days Wild day 15- Magpies and coot chicks

I had another day on campus today, and the weather was glorious. It felt like it would be a shame to miss out on the chance of another picnic (I think a theme for this year's 30 Days Wild is starting to develop). This time, I sat on the benches between the biology department and the lake. I was joined by a magpie, glorious in its iridescence. It bounced between the benches as though looking for leftover food, although with little success. After a while it moved back towards the lake and its mate. I wonder if they are nesting nearby- I've never found any sign of a nest, but I see the two of them there so often I think they must be close.

A magpie alongside the benches

The chicks from the coot nest on the fallen tree down at the side of biology are large now. They're almost the same size as their parents, although their feathers are still downy. This doesn't stop them begging incessantly for food- a soft, high peeping which feels like a constant by the lake at this time of year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment