Tuesday 27 June 2017

30 Days Wild day 17- City Parks

I spent today doing what seems to be the instinctive response to warm weather in cities, and headed for the park. I went to Museum Gardens and found a patch of dappled shade, where I sat with my book, a smoothie and a pack of reduced strawberries. 

The ruins of St. Mary's Abbey in Museum Gardens

Museum Gardens was absolutely full of people, on benches or lying on the grass, picnicking and just soaking up the sunshine. It's a very domestic sort of wild- worlds away from my evening on Heslington East, or the moors and islands described so lyrically in the book I'm reading. But the birds are singing and the breeze is playing in the trees. And there's a camaraderie in being part of a group of people all doing nothing much together, sharing a space and an afternoon in the sunshine. It's important to remember that you don't have to be the only person for miles around to enjoy spending time in nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment