Friday 9 June 2017

30 Days Wild day 4- Geese

I'd arranged to meet a friend on campus around mid afternoon, and arrived a little early, so I sat on a bench near the music department to wait.  I was minding my own business when some geese approached, goslings in tow.


The goslings on campus seem larger than they did this time last year- most have already started to get their adult wing feathers, although they're still awkward and gangly and a little way from full grown. Whether they actually started breeding earlier or not is hard to tell, of course, as it's easy to not see goslings at all until they're a few weeks old. There are certainly still some smaller goslings around.


Another family started to approach too, the goslings still fluffy and the parents far more protective and wary. The goslings seemed completely unconcerned by my presence. It never fails to amaze me just how habituated the wildlife on campus can be.                                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment