Thursday 8 June 2017

30 Days Wild Day 2- Moths


I started off the day with breakfast outside- I'm heading back to York today for my final exam on Saturday, so I wanted to make the most of some fresh air while I could. 

A mint moth on catmint (Nepeta)

The garden was full of bees, but the things which really caught my eye were some beautiful moths on the catmint (Nepeta sp.). It's one of the best plants for pollinators in the garden, always covered in bees, but there were some moths I don't remember seeing before joining them today. Using Butterfly Conservation's moth identification tool, I found that they were mint moths (Pyrausta aurata). They were tiny but beautiful, with vivid, almost purple forewings and gold spots.  

It was so lovely in an otherwise hectic day to take a moment to stop to enjoy watching nature which could so easily be missed in a rush. I would probably not have noticed these moths if I'd just been walking past in a hurry. Now I've seen them, I'll be keeping an eye out for them in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment